PJRFSI now offers Organic Hemp Certification! This new offering is intended to bring the assurance and familiarity of USDA Organic certification to the quickly-expanding industrial hemp industry, as originally outlined in the Agricultural Act of 2014 (Farm Bill). According to the USDA, their official policy is: “[f]or hemp produced in the United States, only industrial hemp, produced in accordance with the 2014 Farm Bill, as articulated in the Statement of Principles on Industrial Hemp issued on August 12, 2016 by USDA, may be certified as organic, if produced in accordance with the USDA organic regulations.”
For producers of industrial hemp, the process to become certified organic is no different from a non-hemp operation being certified:
- Organic processes are adopted and implemented, a USDA-accredited certifying agent is selected, and an application/fees are submitted.
- Certifying agent reviews application and practices to verify compliance.
- On-site inspection of the operation is conducted.
- Certifying agent reviews the application and inspection reports to determine compliance.
- Organic certificate is issued.
Following the initial certification, annual reviews and inspections are also required.
For more information on getting your industrial hemp operation certified as USDA Organic or to receive a free quote, contact us at: 1-855-757-7374 or (248) 519-2523 for a Project Manager in your area!